Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Chad’s Colorado Adventure with Ma and P (June 2 to 7, 2013)

Written by Guest Columnist:  Ma

First of all, I want to warn everyone that Ma is not nearly as good at blogging as is Chad’s mother, and she’s not as good at writing descriptions. But—we will give it a try!

Craig brought Chad to the airport on Monday and met Ma and P, who had flown in from Dallas. We were all excited to get on the plane and head to Denver! Allison followed Ma’s instructions (for once) and didn’t pack everything that Chad owned, so we had only one small duffle and the car seat to tote to the car rental place. (Ma and P carry on.) He did have his backpack with some snacks, iPad, and books, so he was a happy camper. Ma supplemented his nutritional needs with several Lunchables boxes.

machadandpgettingreadytogetonplane

ontheplane

As soon as we got in the car, we stopped at Burger King for a healthy dinner of chicken strips and fries, headed south to Colorado Springs, then to Manitou Springs where we checked into our motel, the Villa Inn. Nice place—clean, quiet, convenient, kitchenette (which I thought we would use but ended up using only the refrigerator), hot tub and swimming pool. After unloading, Ma and Chad headed to Memorial Park where we investigated the old cog train engine (this was something I did when I was Chad’s age) and waded in the creek. It was cold but not so cold that we couldn’t tolerate it. The park had added some playground equipment, so Chad made a friend immediately and played with him for a while. We then walked to the Stagecoach Inn, where Ma used to work during college summers, just to look around and explore the old stagecoach (which WASN’T there when I was Chad’s age). We returned, changed into bathing suits, and sat in the hot tub for a while. Chad even braved the swimming pool! Sleep came very easily for all of us.

maandchad

manitou

memorialpark2

memorialpark

stream

creek

stagecoach

creek

The next morning, we got up early, ate breakfast at an old-time diner in Colorado City, then headed for the Pikes Peak Cog Train station for our 9:30 departure up the mountain. Chad was so good throughout the ride—it was 1½ hours one way! We saw a marmot, snow, squirrels—no bears, though. At the top of the mountain, Chad remarked that it was COLD! He wanted to build a snowman, but the snow was pretty dirty, so we passed on that opportunity. Lunch at the Stagecoach Inn, short rest, then went to visit friends who live in Colorado Springs. Chad watched movies, ate hummus, and was a good little guest.

breakfastbeforepikespeak

pikespeak1

gettingreadytoridepikespeak

chadmakingfriendsonwaytopikespeak

maandchadontrain

pikespeak2

pikespeak

pikespeaktop

cogtrain

Wednesday was overcast and cloudy, and we were afraid it was going to rain and spoil our plans to go to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. We decided to risk it—and what a good decision that was! We got there pretty much when the doors opened, so the zoo wasn’t at all crowded. The first thing we did was head to the giraffe area so we could feed them. Chad was not excited about getting too close—until he saw the baby giraffe who could barely reach the bottom of the fence. I think Chad felt more comfortable with an animal “almost” his size, so he fed most of his lettuce to the baby. He did get braver as the morning progressed—until we got to the aviary with hundreds of parakeets. We bought a seed stick to entice the birds to come sit on our arms and eat. When they did, Chad was scared to death!!!! He did stand beside Ma, though, while SHE had the bird eat off her arm. I was wishing I had worn a large brimmed hat. (Read between the lines for the reason.)

breakfstbeforezoo

zoo10

zoo9

zoo7

zoo8

zoo6

zoo5

zoo4

zoo3

zoo2

zoo

We did it all at the zoo: saw all the animals, rode the chair lift up and down the mountain side, and bought something at the souvenir shop. After a really exciting day, we stopped for pizza, went back to the motel, sat in the hot tub, and WENT TO BED!!!!!

Thursday morning, we had breakfast at an old café in Green Mountain Falls. I think it’s been there for at least 60 years! Then, we headed on up Ute Pass to a dinosaur museum in Woodland Park. Not a particularly exciting place to take a 4-year old. Much too advanced. But, he was a good sport about it all and, as a result, got a glow-in-the-dark dinosaur t-shirt. Plus—we saw a replica of a huge fish with his mouth wide open. We all thought it looked exactly like Chad’s mommy’s mouth! Then—the excitement began. ROCK CLIMBING IN THE GARDEN OF THE GODS!!!!!!!!!!! I don’t get it—Chad is scared to death of a green parakeet but he is fearless when climbing rocks with drop-offs of a million feet. He loved it!!!!! P kept having flashbacks about Chad’s daddy pleading with him to take care of his son. I think Chad’s guardian angel was with us the entire way and kept Chad’s footing steady on those rocks.

photo10

photo9

photo8

photo7

photo6

photo3

photo5

rockclimbing

After lunch, we returned to Memorial Park, shared our McDonald’s lunch with the squirrels (they were tame enough to eat out of our hands), and waded in the stream. Yes, P waded too! Of course, Chad made a new friend and told him exactly what the wading procedure was since he was so experienced. Then, we went back to visit our friends and saw their new house, which has an unobstructed view of Old Baldy (Pikes Peak). After dinner, we went back to Manitou Springs to pack and get ready to leave early Friday morning.

photo2

It was a good plane trip back to Houston, and Chad was really excited to see his Mommy waiting for him at the gate. He couldn’t wait to see his little sister and his daddy.

If I had to sum up this week, it would be with one word: PERFECT. Chad was well behaved, mannerly, respectful, and excited to see all the “amazing” things that Colorado had to offer. It was so much fun to watch Chad’s expressions when we saw and did new things. It was a blessing to be able to spend the week with him, and I hope we have the opportunity to do it again and again.

 

A final note from Mommy:  Chad and Ma – boy do they make a pair, a team, amigos, compadres, etc. etc.  Chad is lucky to have a Ma and P that want to take him on adventures such as the one he experienced last week in Colorado.  Nobody knows Chad better than his Ma so Chad feels totally comfortable being with her.  Ma has spent so much time at our home getting to know Chad and knowing exactly what to do with him that it makes Mommy feel comfortable sending him off with her for a whole.entire.week.  And, boy did I miss him!  But, I kept telling myself that I could not let my missing him keep him from experiencing things!  So, Craig and I decided that Craig should take him to the airport (I might have been a tear fest) but I could pick him up!   Chad cannot stop talking about his adventures.  He tells  me all the things that Colorado has and all the ways they do it in Colorado.  When I picked Chad up from the airport I asked where Ma and Chad’s adventure next year was going to be.  Chad said CHINA!!!  Ma said Chad has to learn to stop kicking the seat in front of him on the airplane first….

And a final, final note from Mommy.  Hey Daddy Craig – remember how you said you were going to write a blog for your adventure with Chad to Disney in March?  That was almost 3 months ago.  Ma got me her blog in a day.

1 comment: