I have so much to say about this trip! When we first planned this trip, it was going to be my family and GG. Well, GG got sick (thanks for a stomach virus from my family) and just didn’t feel up to going. So, Ma stepped in taking her place. Although we were disappointed that GG could not go we were excited that Ma was now able to go! And, boy did we have the times of our lives! Chad is absolutely in love with his Uncle John and had a great time visiting him. Uncle John plans to make New York City Chad’s second home (he said he wants Chad to come up there at least 4 times per year) and Chad is just fine with that because he fell in love with New York City! OK, let me start from the beginning. But, wait, should I mention that this was Chad’s 11th flight in his short 3 1/2 years? Craig and I were adding it up on our way home and I honestly had no idea it had been that many! A pretty lucky kid, I would say.
This is our view from Uncle John’s apartment overlooking Chrysler building:
We arrived on Thursday afternoon. Mom took off out of Dallas and our plan was to meet at LGA and take the same car to Uncle John’s. Well, her flight was delayed so we didn’t think it was going to work out. Then, we had to sit on the tarmac in Houston for an hour and a half so it turned out just fine. (Annabel took advantage of sleeping that hour and a half so that she wouldn’t miss a moment of the flight, lucky me!) We all actually did get there just about the same time – just in time for rush hour in New York. We didn’t take the tunnel in but rather went through different neighborhoods which is actually longer distance wise but faster in traffic. We finally made it to UJ’s apartment. Chad had a great time looking out the terrace at all the big buildings. That evening we stayed in and cooked hamburgers on UJ’s terrace. Sleeping arrangements were that Mom and Chad slept in UJ’s apartment and Craig, Annabel and myself slept in UJ’s neighbors apartment who spends summers in LA so he was not there.
Friday morning we got up and got right to it starting off at the Central Park Zoo. This was the only day that Chad had a total meltdown. And, it wasn’t even late in the day, it was first thing! But, Craig took him aside, let him get it out of his system and we continued our day. We all loved the Zoo. After the zoo, we explored Central Park some more. We had a hot dog for lunch at a vendor, we rode the carousel and then we took a horse buggy ride through Central Park. This park is amazing! After that we went to FAO Schwartz (2 blocks down from Central Park) and then we had dinner at a restaurant in the park called The Boat House. We took cabs back to UJ’s and called it a night!
Have I mentioned what a good baby Annabel was on this trip?
Saturday morning we headed to Times Square to Toys R Us and the Disney Store. We rode the Ferris wheel at Toys R Us and of course looked at more toys. The Disney Store was actually somewhat disappointing.
We then met Mom, UJ and a couple of friends at Carnegie Deli. (Again, just about 2 blocks from Times Square. If you ever need me to show you how to get around New York City, just let me know! ) Then, we headed to see the Lion King. I was a little nervous about this since Chad can barely make it through a movie in a theatre. But, he did great and so did Annabel who took 2 naps during the show. I think Chad actually loved watching the performance and next time I think we will take him to see Mary Poppins. After the play we walked back to UJ’s apartment and ordered in pizza from Patsy’s.
Sunday was another great day. We took the Liberty Cruise to see the Statue of Liberty. This was one of the main things Chad wanted to see when we told him we were going to New York City. He would tell us that 3 people live in NYC – Uncle John, Lion King and the Statue of Liberty. When he saw her, he was amazed! I don’t think he really understood that was the REAL Statue of Liberty!!!!
After the boat ride, Craig took Chad to the Intrepid Museum to look at airplanes and to the Empire State Building.
Mom, Annabel and I went to Chinatown to eat at one of our favorite restaurants Joe Shanghi’s. Then, we just wanted to walk through Greenwich Village and explore. So, we walked from Chinatown, to Little Italy, to SOHO to the Village to Gramercy Park to Murray Hill which is where UJ’s apartment is at 34th and Park. Don’t even ask how far that is. Look it up if you must know because it makes my feet hurt all over again just thinking about it. I will tell you that it took us about 3 hours but that included 1 stop for rain where we enjoyed some Gelato, 1 stop at Magnolia Bakery, 3 street fairs that we randomly rain into while going through the neighborhoods (at one point we thought we might have been going in circles) and 1 stop for Hummus. One lady did help us our with directions because we got very confused by a random street called Irving that neither of us had ever heard of and were not sure which way it went! And, I also learned that if I lived in New York City I would have to live in an apartment that faces Gramercy Park. Beautiful beyond belief.
Sunday evening Mom watched the kids and Craig and I went to eat at one of our favorite NYC restaurants – Mesa Grill. Although this was within walking distance of UJ’s apartment, we took a cab because I told Craig my feet could not take one more block of walking! And, he agreed.
Monday we got up and went to breakfast at another local deli and then headed to the airport. Both kids did great on this flight as well. I guess after 11 flights, it should be old hat!
Chad now says some funny things since he has been to New York City. Craig misplaced his watch and Chad says things like, “That is OK Daddy, we will just go to Times Square and get you a new one.” And today as we were heading home he told me, “Mommy I am pointing to that big tower that looks like the Empire State Building.”
Such a great trip and such great memories! Can’t wait until the next trip! I have been in love with this city since the summer of about 1988 when my grandparents (GG and Papa) took me there. I kept a journal that summer and it is funny to read back in that journal from that summer. On our first night there I wrote, “I love this city, someday I will live here!” Well, life took me a different direction but at least UJ lives there so I can now make it my second home, somewhat!
No comments:
Post a Comment